Maurice Schwartz & Sons, Inc. is a third generation family owned corporation that is committed to serve the public with pride, integrity, and a high level of results. Our highly trained staff of professionals consistently strives to attain complete customer satisfaction. Our goal is to achieve success as a Dealership, and as individuals, through commitment to professionalism, fairness, honesty, and service. We hope to achieve this working together as a team whose members treat each other with honesty, respect and fairness in an environment that gives each member of the team the opportunity to succeed and contribute to our joint effort. Through our individual and joint efforts we hope to achieve our goals while contributing to our community as a valued, respected member of the business community.
This business was founded in 1919 by Maurice Schwartz after his discharge from the U.S. Army. He had served as an Ordinance Sergeant in France during World War I. The first shop and showroom was located on Maple Avenue, which at that time was a dirt road. Charles Flanigan was employed at that time, and at his death in 1988 he had been with us for 69 years. The first new vehicles sold were Bethlehem and Traylor trucks. In 1921 the business was moved to West Front Street and the Willy’s Knight Franchise was added. In 1931 the Chrysler Plymouth franchise was acquired. In 1942 after the outbreak of World War II Maurice Schwartz joined the U.S. Army. He was discharged as a Lt. Colonel after serving 2 ½ years in the China-Burma-India area in charge of assembling motor vehicles shipped into that area. During World War II the business was run by Bessie Schwartz (Mrs. Maurice Schwartz) with the aid of five employees including Charles Flanigan. In 1946 and 1948 respectively, Arnold and Edward Schwartz joined their father, after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania and Temple University, and the business was moved to 141 West Front Street. In the 1970’s Arnold’s sons, James and Jon became the third generation in this business. In 1975, Mazda was added and in 1985 Fuso and Hino Truck Franchises were acquired. In 2000, the business was moved to its present location.